The George Washington University’s (GW) School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Biomedical Laboratory Sciences (BLS) Department plans to hold the annual Laboratory Sciences Summer Immersion Program. This intensive program will be offered in two sessions. Students will be asked to select their session preference on the application. Students may participate in both sessions, but please be advised that it is not recommended. Both sessions are identical in material, except for the hands-on element.
- Program Structure
The overall goal for this program is to expose students, with limited laboratory experience, to the skills necessary to pursue careers in biomedical sciences. In this program, high school and college (applicants with >2 years college credit are considered on a case-by-case basis if they have limited laboratory experience and/or are considering a change of major into the health sciences) students will obtain theoretical and hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Laboratory safety
- Essential laboratory skills and techniques
- Disease case studies
- Diagnostic testing and molecular technologies, such as:
- Laboratory media inoculation
- Cell Differentials
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Nucleic Acid Extraction
- Polymerase chain reaction
- Student Testimonials
This program helped me to learn biomedical concepts in a tangible laboratory setting. The hands-on aspect allowed me to better understand the concepts being presented and relate them to what is done in real biomedical laboratories. The most valuable experience I had during this program was looking at real blood under a microscope. It was amazing how much blood could tell you, and was cool to be able to apply what I have learned to actual specimens and make new discoveries. This experience sparked a fascination of hematology. Mia Turcotte-Keen, School Without Walls High School Class of 2024
I would definitely recommend this program to others. I learned a lot of new information that I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to learn until college, and I made a lot of friends who are very similar to me. I felt like I really fit in and learned a lot of new things. Sage Nagle, Annandale High School Class of 2025
I loved doing all of the experiments and learning about the different tests and methods that doctors often use at the hospital. The knowledge that I learned from this program gave me a greater understanding of biomedical sciences and has given me a passion for science. Josephine Johannes, Freedom High School Class of 2018
- Program Outcomes
At the successful completion of the BLS Summer Immersion Program, learners will be able to:
- Practice safety in the laboratory, including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and sterile technique.
- Discuss the theory and application behind an array of laboratory tests used to diagnose diseases, including infectious diseases, cancer, blood disorders, and genetic diseases.
- Perform a variety of laboratory techniques, including blood cell differentials, microbial plating, biochemical assays, DNA extraction, and nucleic acid electrophoresis.
- Collaborate with peers to prepare a project presentation.
- Present a case study project utilizing patient laboratory findings.
- Program Details
In-Person Session: July 22 - July 26
- Location: The George Washington University’s Virginia Science and Technology Campus (VSTC) - Discovery Hall
- Each day you will be required to attend sessions at VSTC's Discovery Hall. Students are required to attend every session each day to receive a certificate of completion for the week.
- Each day will be broken up into morning and afternoon sessions with a lunch break in between. Sessions will consist of lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on activities focusing on various laboratory subjects.
- Students are responsible for their housing, transportation to and from the VSTC, and meals
- Time: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM ET
- Fee: $500.00 per person (fee includes lab supplies and materials)
- If accepted into the Biomedical Laboratory Sciences Summer Immersion Program, the applicant will be provided an acceptance letter outlining information on how to submit a registration fee of $500.00 via credit card.
- Application Deadline: Monday, June 3, 2024 at 11:59 PM ET
Virtual Session: July 29 – August 2
- Location: Virtual via Blackboard LMS
- You must begin the virtual classroom at the scheduled time every morning, where attendance will be taken. These sessions are completed synchronously. Students are required to attend every session each day to receive a certificate of completion for the week.
- We will provide lectures and information to you during each session. You will then be provided with various activities that you will be required to complete. A faculty member will be there to answer any questions. The modules will consist of labs, various activities, and quizzes.
- To complete the virtual program, you must have a working computer and a reliable internet connection.
- Time: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM ET
- Fee: $250.00 per person
- If accepted into the Biomedical Laboratory Sciences Summer Immersion Program, the applicant will be provided an acceptance letter outlining information on how to submit a registration fee of $250.00 via credit card.
- Application Deadline: Monday, June 3, 2024 at 11:59 PM ET
- Applying to the Summer Immersion Program
- Additional Details
- If accepted, liability waivers must be submitted to participate in the program.
Certificate of Completion
- Students will receive a certificate of completion that can be listed on resumes, college applications, or for volunteer hours.
- Certificate of Completion will be awarded only to students that attend every session and complete all assessments by the designated due dates.
- If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).
- Financial Assistance
Applicants who come from a family with an annual income below a level based on low-income thresholds established by the U.S. Census Bureau will be considered for financial aid. Further information about this will be provided in our high school and college applications.