The George Washington University’s School of Medicine and Health Sciences Biomedical Laboratory Sciences Department held its 5th Annual Laboratory Sciences Summer Immersion Program in 2021. Typically this intensive program is offered in two sessions. Students will be asked to select their session choice on the application.
- Program Structure
The overall goal for this program is to expose students, with limited laboratory experience, to the skills necessary to pursue careers in biomedical sciences. In this program, high school, community college, and 1st and 2nd year college students, will obtain theoretical and hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Laboratory safety
- Essential laboratory skills and techniques
- Disease case studies
- Diagnostic techniques Molecular technologies, such as:
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Polymerase chain reaction
- Recombinant DNA and cloning
- DNA sequence analysis
- Student Testimonials
Before I joined this camp, I had no idea what people did in labs. I would see the complex machinery and think that I would really want to use it one day. I wasn’t really thinking about joining a medical field, but when I came to this camp it opened my eyes. I would rate this camp five stars. The teachers are amazing and teach with unique styles that kept me interested all 6 hours. We got to use instruments that scientist use in labs such as a centrifuge, micropipettes, incubators, incinerators and so on. Overall, this camp is an experience I will never forget and I will recommend it to anyone even if they aren’t thinking about a job in the medical field. Maajid Husain, John Champe High School Class of 2020
This is an amazing program! I learned a lot and this was a great experience. Sana Ahmad, Briar Woods High School Class of 2019
I loved doing all of the experiments and learning about the different tests and methods that doctors often use at the hospital. The knowledge that I learned from this program gave me a greater understanding of biomedical sciences and has given me a passion for science. Josephine Johannes, Freedom High School Class of 2018
- Additional Details
- If accepted, liability waivers must be submitted in order to participate in the program.
Certificate of Completion
- Students will receive a certificate of completion that can be listed on resumes, college applications, or for volunteer hours.
- Certificate of Completion will be awarded only to students that attend every session and complete all assessments on time.
- If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).