What is Biomedical Laboratory Sciences
Biomedical Laboratory Sciences (BLS) is a profession that combines the challenges of medicine, the basic sciences, and clinical sciences into a highly satisfying and valued career. Biomedical laboratory scientists function as detectives, investigating and determining the causes of disease. They utilize the latest biomedical instruments and molecular techniques to perform both routine and complex testing.
Who Benefits from Biomedical Laboratory Sciences?
As vital members of the health care team, biomedical laboratory scientists (sometimes called medical technologists) find great satisfaction in making a direct impact on medical care. Today's biomedical laboratory science graduates work in diverse settings including hospital laboratories, physician offices, clinics, commercial and research laboratories, pharmaceutical and biotechnology firms, as well as government and public health facilities.
Did you know...
What Will I Learn?
The primary goal of the GW BLS Department is to produce highly competent and professional biomedical laboratory scientists who will be able to enter the health care field and be prepared to comprehend and utilize future scientific and technological advances in biomedical laboratory science.
BLS Department Mission & Vision
Mission: To prepare high quality and diverse biomedical science professionals to meet the challenges in today's global markets
Vision: Advance the biomedical sciences field through innovative programs, community outreach, scholarship, and cutting-edge educational technologies.
- BSHS Programs
- Post-Baccalaureate Categorical Certificates
- Certificate in Health Sciences Laboratory Technology (AS - MLT I)
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Blood Banking for Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Chemistry for Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Hematology for Medical Laboratory Science
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Microbiology for Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Molecular Diagnostic Science
- MSHS Programs
- Dual-Degree Programs
Our online, flexible undergraduate programs are designed to provide students with broad-based knowledge in medical and basic sciences that allow them to pursue their individual goals. The BSHS degree and post-baccalaureate certificate programs, for example, offer a unique blend of online course work combined with instruction in clinical laboratories. Our online MSHS in BLS program are designed to equip certified laboratory professionals with the knowledge and skills to assume leadership positions in the laboratory, as managers, educators, clinicians, and researchers.
An application to any program within the Biomedical Laboratory Sciences department has a fee of $80.
National Certification Examinations
Graduates of several of the programs within the Biomedical Laboratory Sciences department are eligible to take national examinations for certification, such as those offered by the Board of Certification of the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP). The programs that lead to exam eligibility are:
- ASCP Board of Certification MLS exam
- ASCP Technologist in Hematology exam
- ASCP Technologist in Microbiology exam
- ASCP Technologist in Chemistry exam
- ASCP Technologist in Blood Banking exam
- ASCP Board of Certification Molecular Biology exam
Some of the programs in the BLS department prepare you for board certification exams. We advise prospective applicants for these programs to refer to state licensure requirements before accepting admission.
California and New York: students seeking state licensure in California and New York may need to complete additional clinical hours to comply with their state’s current BLS Licensure requirements.
GW's program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS): http://www.naacls.org/
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
GW BLS Department Outcomes
- In the past three years, the BLS department at GW had a ASCP Board of Certification Exam pass rate between 91 - 95%.
- In the previous three consecutive years, 100% of students who entered into Phase II of the BLS program have graduated.
- At least 95% of the BLS graduates obtain jobs in the field within 6 months of graduation.